MICROCHEM – WESTBOROUGH, MA
- MicroChem (Now Kayaku Advanced Materials) had recently acquired two companies and wanted to relocate both companies into their existing Westborough facility.
- The client had developed a basic floor plan/layout and looked to SPEC to provide initial design services to help them master plan the space and develop an up-front budget appropriate for capital approval.
- SPEC developed a preliminary budget and schedule for the client provided floor plan as a “base case,” as well as for the three options identified during the review process. Once MicroChem had chosen an option, SPEC executed a round of value engineering; which ultimately became the scope basis for the project. SPEC then proceeded to finalize design, procure equipment and subcontractors, and ultimately execute the project.
- The project was finished on schedule and budget.
- 10,500 SF of mixed-use space
- Contract value of $1.2MM
- The existing separation wall between the fit-out space and the existing operating facility was unrated although it was required to be 2-hr rated. SPEC was able to upgrade the wall; including making the existing wire and pipe penetrations meet UL requirements, with minimal interruption to the existing facility.
- The installation of a rooftop air handling unit (AHU) required a plant shutdown on a Friday and the use of a large crane, necessitating a tightly choreographed schedule. Unfortunately, delivery of the AHU became so delayed that a weekend crane would need to be scheduled, at significant additional cost to the project. To avoid this cost overrun, SPEC arranged to have a dedicated truck pick up the AHU at the factory in the mid-West and expedite it directly to the site. It arrived within hours of the drop-dead time for rigging to the roof with originally scheduled crane.
- Installation occurred within an operating facility without major disruption. Equipment was moved in over a weekend and operational on Monday.
MicroChem’s Facilities Manager: “I have been a part of every expansion project in MicroChem’s history and have never experienced such a well planned and executed project.“