Strem manufactures and markets specialty chemicals of high purity.
Strem needed to upgrade their facility to provide H (high hazard) rated space for storage and operations.
The existing building had a previous design for H that included blast resistant construction. SPEC utilized a deflagration mitigation approach to accomplish the same result at a fraction of the cost.
Budget & Schedule
- The contract basis was fixed cost construction
- Project value: approximately $1.5 Million
- Executed on schedule and on budget
- The facility design complied with Massachusetts Building Code and NFPA code
- SPEC held a pre-construction fire department review of the design basis, including the State Fire Marshall’s office.
Rigorous Technical Requirements
- A key project target was that the exhaust rate be no less than 1 CFM/sqft
- Special utilities included standby power, LEL system with shunt trip, fume hood sash position flow control
- Total building: 15,000 sqft
- Area renovated: 5,000 sqft
- All construction was performed during continuing operations